What type of work is exempt from a building permit?
  • One-story detached accessory structures used as decks, tool storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11.15 m2) and is not supported by another structure.
  • Oil derricks.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from grade at the bottom to grade at the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,925 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
  • Sidewalks and patios not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below and which are not part of an accessible route.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work.
  • Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes and not including service systems.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.
  • Awnings supported by an exterior wall and not extending into a City of Rockford right-of-way.
  • Non-fixed Movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters, and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1733 mm) in height.
  • Replacement of doors or windows provided the size is not changed and a fire rating is not required.
  • Repair or replacement of interior or exterior wall and ceiling coverings provided: 
    • Not more than 50% of coverings in a room is removed
    • Coverings are not part of a fire rated assembly
    • Structural elements in a hazardous condition are not exposed

Show All Answers

1. Why do I need a permit?
2. How deep must frost footings be?
3. What is the design ground snow load in Rockford?
4. How many layers of roofing can I have on the roof?
5. Why do I need to submit construction documents (drawings, calculations, specifications)?
6. When am I required to hire a design professional (Architect, Professional Engineer or Structural Engineer)?
7. Where do codes come from?
8. What type of work is exempt from a building permit?
9. Can a homeowner install plumbing work in their home?
10. Can a homeowner install mechanical work in their home?
11. Why do I need to submit construction documents (drawings, calculations, specifications)?
12. What happens if I do not obtain a permit?
13. What type of work is exempt from a plumbing permit?
14. What type of work is exempt from a mechanical permit?
15. How do I become a registered electrician?
16. Can a homeowner install electrical work in their home?
17. What type of work is exempt from an electrical permit?
18. Can I file a complaint about repairs that my landlord will not respond to?
19. Can a complaint be filed about deteriorated houses and/or buildings?
20. Is my complaint confidential?
21. What happens after I file a complaint?
22. What can be done about abandoned/vacant houses with broken windows or doors?
23. What is my property zoned as?
24. Can I establish a business in a single-family home located in a residential area?
25. If I am replacing an existing fence, do I need a fence permit?