Utility Billing

The Utility Billing Division generates billing of water and rubbish pick up in one bill. Water meters are read every month and billed in accordance to the City’s fee schedule. Water is measured in cubic feet, and billing is calculated in hundreds of cubic feet. One hundred cubic feet is equivalent to 748.1 gallons. Water is billed in arrears and your monthly bill will be for consumption used the prior month. Current water rates are based on meter size can be found here.

In order to stop water charges, you must call customer service and schedule to have the water turn off. If the property is vacant and the water is on, you will continue to receive a bill and be responsible for all consumption/charges accumulated. If you request to have the water off, it is your responsibility to make sure the water is off completely in accordance with The City of Rockford Ordinance Sec. 28-4b. The City requires the customer to schedule a time to meet us at the property to ensure that the water is shut off completely. Turning the water off automatically stops billing for garbage charges.

If you would like to request a closing estimate, please complete the form below and send it to [email protected] When opening the form, click OK to acknowledge the message and then View/Edit document to type in the form.

Closing Form


Garbage Collection

The City contracts with Rock River Disposal Services, Inc. for rubbish, recyclable and landscape waste pick up. Monthly rubbish charges are included in the water bill of the current month in which the garbage is picked up. If you have a rubbish only account and your property is vacant, you must pay any outstanding balance and notify Customer Service at 779-348-7300 in order to inactivate the account and stop the charges. Failure to notify the City will result in continuation of charges being applied to the account.

Please note sanitation penalties or fees may be added for collection to water bills.


Payment Options

We offer payment plans for property owners, for further information, please contact our office at 779-348-7300 Monday- Friday 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. Also, if you are experiencing financial difficulties, the city offers financial assistance through our Hardship Program. Please contact our Human Services Department to set up an appointment at 844-710-6919

Other agencies offering assistance include:
• Rockford Township        815-962-8855
• Salvation Army               815-972-1135
• Catholic Charities           815-544-5434 Ext. 2 or Spanish 815-344-6956 Ext 4

For your convenience, payments for water/rubbish accounts can be made by the following methods:


Cash, credit card and check payments are accepted at City Hall, 425 E. State Street, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Check and money order payments may also be submitted in the after-hours Payment Drop Box located near the south entrance of City Hall.

In addition, the following places now accept payments. Please note locations may have a convenience fee for the service. Please have your stub or 9-digit account number available when making a payment.

11th Street Currency Exchange
3134 11st Street

CFSC-Rockford’s Best C.E., Inc.
4215 E. State Street

4225 Charles Street

Downton Discount Drugs
325 W. State Street

Kishwaukee Currency Exchange
1807 Kishwaukee Street

O’Brien and Dobbins Pharmacy
216 S. State Street, Belvidere

Order Express
519 Marchesano Drive

Riverside Discount Outlet
864 W. Riverside Boulevard

West State Currency Exchange
1455 West State Street

Walmart Stores
7219 Walton Street
3849 Northridge Drive
3902 West Riverside Boulevard
2101 Gateway Center Drive, Belvidere
4781 E. Rockton Road, Roscoe


Check payments can be made using the return envelope sent along with your bill or by mailing payment and stub to: Payment Center, City of Rockford, and P.O. Box 8492, Carol Stream, IL 60197-8492. If stub is not available to send, please include on the check your 9 digit account number (last numbers after the dash on your bill) to avoid delays processing your payment.


You can use the automated phone system by calling 1-844-738-1055.  Payments can be made using a checking account or any major credit card.  Payments completed by 11:00 a.m. Central Time will be posted the same day. Payments completed after 11:00 a.m. will be posted the next business day. You will need your City of Rockford 9 digit account number and 8 digit bill number located in your printed bill. There is a $3.00 fee for using this service.

E-Billing and Auto-Draft

We offer e-billing and Auto-Draft. Please click here and follow the prompts listed to enroll. E-billing and Auto-draft are free, secure and easy to use. After enrolling, please add [email protected] to your safe emails in order to receive our e-billing notifications. You can also make one-time payments online at your convenience. The fee for one-time payments is $2.00.

Please note if you sign up for e-billing, it is your responsibility to check your email and review your bills every month. By signing up for e-billing all correspondence will be sent electronically. We occasionally send notifications from [email protected] or  [email protected]

You may choose to sign up for text messaging notifications  and PDF statements when signing up for e-billing. You may also have the option to set a threshold amount when signing up for auto-draft.


If your water has been disconnected and you are paying the balance on your account, please let us know if you want the water back on so we can schedule it.

If you receive a red delinquent notice on your bill, and make a payment, you must notify Customer Service in person or by phone 779-348-7300 during business hours with a confirmation number to avoid disconnection of services.

A $25.00 fee will be charged for any notice of disconnection in excess of one in a rolling 6 months.

If the water is turned off for non-payment, all past due balances plus a fee of $75.00 plus tax must be paid before restoring services. Scheduled work is subject to availability and we can’t guarantee same day appointments.  Someone 18 years or older must be present for all scheduled appointments and we must have access to the meter.  If someone is not present, there will be a $50.00 missed call charge.

A $25.00 fee will be added to your account for any returned payment.

Request New Utility Service

To set up new service, questions about your existing water service, or billing questions, contact the Customer Service Center at 779-348-7300.  For questions on your garbage collection, contact Rock River Disposal Services at 815-965-2489 or visit the City’s Solid Waste Webpage at https://rockfordil.gov/city-departments/community-and-economic-development/sanitation/

For after-hours water emergencies – call 779-348-7300.

If there is a change of ownership, it is the responsibility of the purchaser of any premises in the city, or of any mortgagee, trustee or lien claimant to notify the customer service department in writing of the intention to purchase the property. In addition, any outstanding balance must be paid prior to the new owner being added to the account.

A $25.00 application fee will be added to set up a new residential account (up to 2 units.)

A $50.00 application fee will be added to set up a new non-residential account (multi-family of 3 units or greater, irrigation, commercial and fire.)