SNOW EMERGENCY DECLARATION
DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CAR IS PARKED? – February 11, 2018
- THE CITY OF ROCKFORD PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT HAS DECLARED A CITYWIDE SNOW EMERGENCY BEGINNING TODAY, SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2018, EFFECTIVE 8:00 AM. THE ODD/EVEN PARKING WILL BE IN EFFECT UNTIL THE PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT DEEMS IT IS NO LONGER NECESSARY. UPDATES TO THE SNOW EMERGENCY WILL BE PROVIDED AT APPROPRIATE TIMES THROUGHOUT THE REMAINDER OF THE STORM.
- STREET DIVISION EMPLOYEES WILL CONTINUE PLOWING ARTERIAL STREETS . CONTRACTORS BEGIN PLOWING RESIDENTIAL STREETS TODAY AT 8:00 AM.
- THE CITY OF ROCKFORD OR ITS CONTRACTORS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR PLOWING ALLEY WAYS.
- THE ODD/EVEN PARKING IS IN EFFECT SO THAT THE PLOWS CAN SAFELY GO DOWN THE STREETS. THE NEXT DAY, WHEN THE PARKING CHANGES TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET, THE PLOWS MAY OR MAY NOT RETURN TO CLEAR THE OTHER SIDE. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, PLEASE REMOVE YOUR VEHICLE FROM THE STREET. IF UNABLE TO, PLEASE OBSERVE THE ODD/EVEN PARKING.
- EFFECTIVE AS OF 8:00 AM TODAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2018, CARS SHOULD BE PARKED ON THE ODD NUMBERED SIDE OF THE STREET.
- AS OF 8:00 AM TOMORROW, FEBRUARY 12, 2018, CARS ARE TO BE PARKED ON THE EVEN NUMBERED SIDE OF THE STREET.
- CARS PARKED IN VIOLATION OF THE ODD/EVEN PARKING WILL BE TICKETED.
WHAT DOES THE ODD/EVEN PARKING MEAN TO ME?
In order for our crews to remove snow and ice from city streets, we must have the ability to safely and effectively maneuver a plow up and down our streets. If a snow or ice storm reaches the point that streets are becoming difficult to clear, city officials can declare a Snow Emergency. A Snow Emergency requires that vehicles be parked on the odd side of the street when the date ends in an odd number and on the even side of the street when the date ends on an even number. For example, on January 5th, you would park on the odd side of the street. Police will issue parking tickets at the cost of $50.00 to vehicles that are parked on the wrong side of the street. It’s safe to assume that if it’s snowing the Odd/Even Parking is in effect.
The residential area between 20th St. west to Kishwaukee St., Harrison Avenue north to Rural St. has been problematic for the City Crews to plow during past storms, due to vehicles parked on both sides of the street. We would encourage citizens in this area to move their vehicles either off the street or to the appropriate side of the street as specified by the odd/even parking.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO REMEMBER
- If your street is marked as “No Parking” on one side of the street, the Snow Emergency Declaration allows you to park legally in the restricted area during the time that the Snow Emergency Declaration is in effect.
- Do not assume that you can move your car when the street is plowed. Your car must remain parked appropriately until after the Snow Emergency has been lifted.
- All vehicles must be moved to the correct side of the street at 8:00 a.m.