Tents & Carnivals


Tents with permits are allowed to be erected on private property for 3 days in approved residential zoning districts and 14 days in other approved zoning districts.

* An application, applicable fees, inspection and posting of permits are  required.


Carnivals include events that include amusement rides.

*  Carnivals with tents require tent permit(s) in addition to a carnival permit.

A permit from the State of Illinois Department of Labor (217)-782-9347 is required to operate a Carnival or Amusement Rides. The City of Rockford does not conduct inspections for amusement rides. See the following web sites for information.




Where food is to be prepared and served to the public, a food service permit shall be obtained from the County of Winnebago Health Department (815)-720-4100.

Inspections for cooking appliances and flame spread rating of tent materials, lighting, and exiting are conducted by the Fire Prevention Bureau 779-348-7172.

Inspections for electrical equipment and wiring lighting are conducted by the Electrical Division 779-348-7158.

Tents and Carnivals may not be erected on City of Rockford property, without City of Rockford Council approval prior to permit issuance.