Documents Required

In order to complete an application for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) some documents are required. If any of these documents aren't available, we may be able to work without them.

Photo ID

A government agency issued photo is required for the Head of Household and any other adult in the household.

Documentation of Gross Income

Any income in the household in the past 30 days must be documented. This includes (but is not limited to) the following:

  • Wages
  • Unemployment benefits
  • Social Security Income (including SSDI, SSI, and various Social Security benefits)
  • TANF
  • Child Support

Utility Bills

We require the most recent copies of the bills that assistance is being applied for. This usually includes Nicor and Com Ed, but can also include Propane bills along with other smaller utilities.

Social Security Cards

We require a copy of each household member's Social Security card in order to confirm their Social Security number. There are very few cases where we can work without a copy of the card