How to Recover Property & Vehicles
How to Recover Property and Vehicles
- All impound fees or fines must be paid at District Three, 557 South New Towne Drive.
- You will be issued a receipt to claim your vehicle from the Greater Rockford Auto Auction (GRAA), 5937 Sandy Hollow Road. Rockford, IL. Phone: 815-874-7800 GRAA webpage.
Before the vehicle is released by a GRAA representative, you must:
- Pay Impound fees in cash
- Pay applicable storage fees
- Show proof of vehicle ownership
- Show proof of vehicle insurance
The following fees (subject to change) will be due at the Greater Rockford Auto Auction (GRAA) to claim your vehicle:
|Impound Fee - based on the offense see the listing below||$116, $550 to $1,000|
|Storage (per calendar day)||$45|
The impound fee for a vehicle impounded is $1,000 for the listed offenses:
- Solicitation of a Sex Act
- Promoting Prostitution
- Promoting Juvenile Prostitution
- Trafficking in Persons
- Patronizing a Prostitute
- Patronizing a Minor Engaged in Prostitution
Vehicles abandoned and/or unclaimed in the City of Rockford will be sold at public auction on a monthly basis at the Greater Rockford Auto Auction, 5937 Sandy Hollow Road, Rockford, IL.
- Owners may claim their vehicle at the Greater Rockford Auto Auction by paying the associated redemption fees on or before the second Monday of the Month.
- All unclaimed vehicles will be sold.
- Only specially licensed dealers are allowed to bid on vehicles eligible for auction. The Greater Rockford Auto Auction (GRAA), located at 5937 Sandy Hollow Road, Rockford, Ill., holds auctions every Wednesday. Please contact the GRAA at 815-874-7800 with any questions.
- Purchasers will be issued a Certificate of Purchase. Payment is due at the conclusion of the auction. Only cash or check made payable to the "Greater Rockford Auto Auction" will be accepted.
Claiming Personal Property Classified as Found or Recovered
To recover items that are classified as property (found purses, wallets, cell phones, etc.) and not considered evidence, please call 779-500-6514 during business hours (8 am - 4 pm. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday through Closed Wednesday) for assistance and instructions on how, when, and where to recover your property.
Current FOUND Property as of 8/9/23
Persons claiming property shall provide reasonable and satisfactory proof of ownership or right to possession of the property being claimed.
Recovering items classified as evidence (Recovered by police during an investigation)
The Property and Evidence Division can not release any item classified as evidence until the item has been released by the Winnebago County State’s Attorney’s Office or the Rockford Police Department District Commander and it has been reclassified as property. Please contact the Winnebago County State’s Attorney’s Office (815-319-4700) or the Rockford Police Detective Bureau (779-500-6551) with questions about all items, including vehicles, classified as evidence.
Buying seized property
Items seized by the Rockford Police Department that are not claimed and/or the Police Department is unable to otherwise return to an owner, are sold at auction on the propertyroom.com website. Items auctioned include bicycles, electronic equipment, and numerous other items.