Beginning January 1, 2012, a new law went into effect prohibiting the disposal of Covered Electronic Devices (CEDs) in Illinois landfills. These items will not be collected if placed out with household garbage. In compliance with the Illinois EPA's Consumer Electronics Recycling Act (CERA), residents may dispose of used and obsolete CEDs at one of two Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful Recycling Centers. Devices covered under the CERA program include:
- Computers and Small-Scale Servers
- Computer Monitors
- Electronic Keyboards & Mice
- Printers, Fax Machines, and Scanners
- DVD Players, DVD Recorders, and VCRs
- Digital Converter Boxes, Cable Receivers, and Satellite Receivers
- Portable Digital Music Players and Video Game Consoles
Disposal is free of charge except for televisions and monitors that are subject to the fee schedule below. Payment is debit preferred with all major credit/debit cards accepted.
- TVs/Monitors under 19 inches: $20
- TVs/Monitors 19 inches and over: $25
- Projection TVs/Wood Console TVs: $30
In accordance with CERA, only intact electronics from residential consumers will be accepted. Partial electronic devices, components and parts, and business-derived electronic waste not eligible for the CERA program. After-hour drop-offs are strictly prohibited and violators caught on the facility's video surveillance system will be prosecuted accordingly.
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful also offers businesses and other commercial organizations a way to recycle their TVs, monitors, and electronics. This service is by appointment only and there is a cost involved. To schedule a drop-off or for more information and current disposal rates, please contact Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful at 815-637-1343 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.