Tall Grass & Weeds

To report a weeds violation, please use our online Service Request system by visiting the Submit a Service website.

If you are unable to use the City's Service Request system, you may also leave a message on the City's weeds hotline by calling 779-348-7161. For more information about the City's response to tall grass and weeds, please see our FAQ document here

City of Rockford's Property Maintenance Code Section 302.4, and City of Rockford Code of Ordinances, Section 17-1 and 17-2 Weed Control states: All premises and exterior property not improved with a structure and greater than 1 acre in size shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 10 inches. All other premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 8 inches. All noxious weeds shall be prohibited. Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plants, vegetation, overgrowth, and underbrush other than trees or shrubs provided; however, this term shall not include cultivated crops, flowers and gardens.

In addition, section 26-23 of the City of Rockford Code of Ordinances requires that property owners maintain any vegetation growth on the right-of-way abutting your property, including parkways, terraces and alley approaches. Additionally, it is a violation to dispose of grass clippings and leaves into streets and alleys as they clog both street sweepers and storm sewer drain inlets, which can lead to flooding. Please report violations related to the disposal of leaves and grass clipping in City streets to the Public Works Department at 779-348-7175.

The City does not regulate the growth and maintenance of bushes and trees on private property, including trees overhanging from a neighbor's yard, or which fall due to a storm, unless they are obstructing or endangering a public right-of-way (sidewalks, streets, alleys). To report bushes and trees obstructing public right-of-way areas and diseased or dead trees with the potential to fall into these areas, please visit the City Forestry Division page or call 779-348-7260.