Sweeping & Patching
The Street division currently employs a contracted crew to sweep city streets throughout the year as weather allows. Their purpose is to remove inorganic debris (ie: rocks, gravel, etc.) and prevent it from entering our stormwater system. Although the Street division doesn't take sweeping requests, they may come out for extenuating circumstances, such as a water main break. While street sweepers do pick up leaves and debris that naturally fall into the street, the operation is not designed to pick up raked leaves/yard waste.
- Citizens who rake or blow leaves into the city streets will be cited for this practice.
- Please bag your yard refuse and set it out for collection on your weekly garbage pickup day. Trash and yard refuse should not be placed in the street but up on the right-of-way or driveway so the sweepers can get closer to the curb.
- Street sweeping, like snow plowing, requires a systematic approach whereby sweepers follow prescribed routes in order to address streets in the most efficient manner. Therefore, requests for sweeping individual streets will not be taken unless a condition exists that we feel creates a health or safety issue.
- All Street Division Operations are dependent on existing weather conditions and are subject to change accordingly. Citizens are urged to approach Public Works Crews with caution and at a reduced speed that is below posted speed limits.
- The City of Rockford appreciates your continued patience and cooperation as we perform our Street Maintenance Activities.
- Reminder - Pursuant to City Ordinance, trash receptacles and lawn waste are not to be placed in the street. Sweeping crews do not come back to sweep an area that was missed because of improperly placed garbage receptacles or parked cars.
- Street Division crews are currently patching potholes citywide both proactively and by citizen request.
- Contact 779-348-7260 with your patch request.
The Fall Residential cycle will continue for 2023.
Maps and details will be updated weekly on Thursdays or Fridays.
During the week beginning December 4, the following residential areas are scheduled for sweeping:
- N. Alpine Rd. east to N. Mulford Rd - E. State St. north to Spring Creek Rd
- N. 2nd St. east to N. Alpine Rd. - Rural St. north to Highcrest Rd.