Utility Billing

The Utility Billing Division generates billing of water and rubbish pick up in one bill. Water meters are read every month and billed in accordance to the City's fee schedule. Water is measured in cubic feet, and billing is calculated in hundreds of cubic feet. One hundred cubic feet is equivalent to 748.1 gallons. Water is billed in arrears and your monthly bill will be for consumption used the prior month. Current water rates are based on meter size can be found on the Fee Schedule page.

In order to stop water charges, you must call customer service and schedule to have the water turned off. If the property is vacant and the water is on, you will continue to receive a bill and be responsible for all consumption/charges accumulated. If you request to have the water off, it is your responsibility to make sure the water is off completely in accordance with The City of Rockford Ordinance Sec. 28-4b. The City requires the customer to schedule a time to meet us at the property to ensure that the water is shut off completely. Turning the water off automatically stops billing for garbage charges.

If you would like to request a closing estimate, please complete the Closing Form (DOCX) and send it to the City of Rockford Water Closings email. When opening the form, click OK to acknowledge the message and then view / edit the document to type in the form.

Garbage Collection

The City contracts with Rock River Disposal Services, Inc. for rubbish, recyclable, and landscape waste pickup. Monthly rubbish charges are included in the water bill of the current month in which the garbage is picked up. If you have a rubbish-only account and your property is vacant, you must pay any outstanding balance and notify Customer Service at 779-348-7300 in order to inactivate the account and stop the charges. Failure to notify the City will result in a continuation of charges being applied to the account.

Please note sanitation penalties or fees may be added for collection to water bills.

Payment Options

We offer payment plans for property owners, for further information, please contact our office at 779-348-7300 Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm. Also, if you are experiencing financial difficulties, the city offers financial assistance through our Hardship Program. Please contact our Human Services Department to set up an appointment at 844-710-6919

Other agencies offering assistance include:

  • Rockford Township 815-962-8855
  • Salvation Army 815-972-1135
  • Catholic Charities 815-544-5434, ext. 2 or Spanish 815-344-6956 Ext 4

For your convenience, payments for water/rubbish accounts can be made by the following methods:

  1. In-Person
  2. Mail
  3. Phone
  4. E-Billing & Auto-Draft

Cash, credit card, and check payments are accepted at City Hall, 425 E State Street, from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Check and money order payments may also be submitted in the after-hours Payment Drop Box located near the south entrance of City Hall.

In addition, the following places now accept payments. Please note locations may have a convenience fee for the service. Please have your stub or 9-digit account number available when making a payment.

  • 11th Street Currency Exchange
    3134 11st Street
  • CFSC-Rockford's Best C.E., Inc.
    4215 E State Street
  • Dolex-2436
    4225 Charles Street
  • Downton Discount Drugs
    325 W State Street
  • Kishwaukee Currency Exchange
    1807 Kishwaukee Street
  • O'Brien and Dobbins Pharmacy
    216 S State Street, Belvidere
  • Order Express
    519 Marchesano Drive
  • Riverside Discount Outlet
    864 W Riverside Boulevard
  • West State Currency Exchange
    1455 West State Street
  • Walmart Stores:
    • 7219 Walton Street
    • 3849 Northridge Drive
    • 3902 West Riverside Boulevard
    • 2101 Gateway Center Drive, Belvidere
    • 4781 E Rockton Road, Roscoe


  • If your water has been disconnected and you are paying the balance on your account, please let us know if you want the water back on so we can schedule it.
  • If you receive a red delinquent notice on your bill and make a payment, you must notify Customer Service in person or by phone at 779-348-7300 during business hours with a confirmation number to avoid disconnection of services.
  • A $25 fee will be charged for any notice of disconnection in excess of one in a rolling 6 months.
  • If the water is turned off for non-payment, all past due balances plus a fee of $75 plus tax must be paid before restoring services. Scheduled work is subject to availability and we can't guarantee same-day appointments. Someone 18 years or older must be present for all scheduled appointments and we must have access to the meter. If someone is not present, there will be a $50 missed call charge.
  • A $25 fee will be added to your account for any returned payment.

Request New Utility Service

To set up a new service, have questions about your existing water service, or have billing questions, contact the Customer Service Center at 779-348-7300. For questions on your garbage collection, contact Rock River Disposal Services at 815-965-2489 or visit the Residential Solid Waste and Recycling Services page.

For after-hours water emergencies, call 779-348-7300.

If there is a change of ownership, it is the responsibility of the purchaser of any premises in the city, or of any mortgagee, trustee, or lien claimant to notify the customer service department in writing of the intention to purchase the property. In addition, any outstanding balance must be paid prior to the new owner being added to the account.

  • A $25 application fee will be added to set up a new residential account (up to 2 units.)
  • A $50 application fee will be added to set up a new non-residential account (multi-family of 3 units or greater, irrigation, commercial, and fire.)